Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Treating Little Boy Lows

Today is Day 2 of Diabetes Blog Week being hosted by Bitter-Sweet. The theme is about treating lows. (Yesterday's theme was "A Day in the Life of..." I forgot to mention that.)

We've been dealing with this more often lately. Little Boy gets too busy outside to do a "think check". That's what we call stopping to think about how he feels. The other day he came in to eat, and he was 36! I freaked out. He was a little too out of it to notice.

I use V8 Fusion - Tropical Orange flavor - to treat his lows. I also use the same glass each time. I've gotten pretty good at pouring the right amount to treat his low.

But I really think the most important thing is that I follow the juice with a solid carb and some protein. I've read where kids are low, get juice, and soon are low again. I really feel for those kids - what a horrible rollercoaster. Most often, Little Boy is testing before a meal, so following up with with solids and proteins aren't a problem. But if it isn't meal time, the easiest thing is little Planter's nuts packages - carbs & protein in one! I might only give him half the package if it's getting close to mealtime. I buy the big box at Sam's Club. He also likes Jack Link's Beef & Cheese sticks.

Fast acting carbs + slow acting carbs + protein = happy Little Boy.


No comments:

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets