Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Biggest Supporter

Day 3 of Diabetes Blog Week hosted by Bitter-Sweet

My biggest supporter would definitely have to be my husband. He knows how it pains my heart to do shots. When my husband is working or sleeping (he works a swing shift) I take care of giving Little Boy his shots. I'm more than capable. I make sure I measure it out correctly, etc., and just give the shot. I can't think about any of the emotional aspects of having a Type 1 child, or I'd lose it. So if DH is home, he does them. He has literally come into the kitchen, and taken the syringe out of my hand when I was going to just go ahead and give Little Boy his shot. He knows all about measuring serving amounts, counting carbs, giving shots, what to do in case of an emergency... He is the one I lean on when I feel like I just cannot stand to see my son go through this.

He also gets up to do the 2 am check if he's home. There are nights he doesn't get near enough sleep, and he still does the check. I'm sure in large part because I am such a sound sleeper, I would probably let the alarm clock ring for a long time before waking up. But still. He does it. I often wake up as he's getting back into bed to ask what Little Boy's number is. And often I'm back asleep before he answers, and I never remember the next day. But it gives me peace that my husband has it under control.

I do have to give a huge mention to Little Boy's Diabetic Educator. Vicki is a God-send. She and Little Boy forged a close love right off the bat. He and I stop in to see her whenever we go to the hospital. She and her husband came to his birthday party last summer, and last November she went with us to see the Imagination Movers when they came to Morgantown. She has sent books to my kids, and she has been a great resource and support for me. She was the one who kept talking when I was shellshocked at his diagnosis, and she is just a really wonderful nurse. She and some others are starting a support group; I can't wait until we can go to the first meeting!

1 comment:

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

That is one special diabetes educator!

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets