My first thoughts of the day are usually, It's morning already? followed by, I wonder what his number is? My jumbled thoughts try to sort themselves out, and I remember his 2 am number. Was it high, low or good? What should it be this morning?
My four year old daughter woke up at the crack of dawn today. I had to send her back to her room a couple times, "It's NOT time to get up yet!" And my head is completely stuffed up. I'd like to stay in bed all day. My husband worked a double shift - second and third. He has to get sleep so he can get up to go back out on second. So I have to get up.
Little Boy checked his blood sugar before I got up. Rare. Usually it's a small fight in the morning. Since we homeschool, we don't have the rush to get out the door for the bus or to get to school. I can't imagine the feeling of watching him walk out into the care of someone else. Right now DH and I are the only ones who really care for him. My MIL can give the shots if necessary, but she can't (or won't) figure carbs. My SIL can figure carbs, but she doesn't like the idea of the shots. So.
We have to get breakfast done, some schoolwork done, and then we're out the door. Little Boy is seeing a therapist. We're hoping she can help him deal with his feelings about being diabetic. At one time, he made the comment he'd rather be dead than diabetic. That freaked me out. And when he was upset one day, he said he should just stab himself in the neck with a knife. That did it. I had to make sure he wasn't going to really follow through. Thankfully his therapist said he isn't suicidal.
And as I think about his appointment, I'm calculating in my head. Breakfast time, snack time, lunch time. Lunch time. Will we eat out, pick up something on the way home or come home and try to fix something quickly? If we eat out, I need to take all his insulin stuff.
I'll let the kids play outside a little while when we finish lunch, and then it's nap time. I'm so thankful both of them still nap. I always worry when he's napping; Is he low? When Little Boy gets up, we'll have reading time together.
The kids will go out and play while I start fixing supper. I get tired of meal planning. It's so hard to figure out things to eat that are quick, healthy and that my picky eaters will eat. Lately, pizza and spaghetti have been favorites, but we're dealing with fast acting insulin and slowly digested carbs. He goes low, I give him juice and carbs to compensate, and he goes high later.
He and sister usually go across the yard for an hour or so after supper to spend time with their grandparents. Lately, they've been coming home with some interesting words and retelling some interesting scenes from shows they watched with Granddad. Hmm.
About 9 we start getting ready for bed. Jammies, blood check, snack, teeth, night time shot, tucking in, and then sending Baby back to bed a handful of times. I'll be up for awhile. DH will get home about 11:30 pm and we'll chat, and I'll go to bed. When he's home, he does the 2 am check. But I usually wake up when he comes back to bed to ask, What was his number? I can't remember the last time I slept soundly through the night. And even though Little Boy doesn't wake up when we check him, it must disturb his sleep too.
All through the day, when he has to check, or when he gets his shots, I pray. I pray for God's strength to care for him to the best of my ability. I pray for him to be strong. I pray for him to gain wisdom in taking care of himself as he gets older. But mostly I pray for a cure. I would fall on my face in complete and all-consuming gratitude at the news of a cure. And then I'd dance the happy dance!
1 comment:
A cure would be awesome! Do you use any diabetic cookbooks? I've seen several that look half-way decent from Reiman. Or is it easier to just use regular cookbooks?
Post a Comment