So I could post this on my burns me up blog, but it's part of my day, so here it is.
One of my former students is a friend on FB. He's a liberal Democrat. I love him - he's a responsible dad and husband. He has a sweet personality - usually.
Last night he posted that disgruntled right-wingers crack him up. I posted that I'm past disgruntled. Another student from that school posted that the right is only concerned about their taxes and not helping the poor like Christ did.
I find that very judgmental, and completely false. My husband and I give generously to charities, and we give regularly to our church. We gave more last year than Joe Biden gave in multiple years - about 17x's what he gave in fact. We gave more last year than Obama gave in multiple years - before he was a politician and realized his giving would be public record.
If the government would tax us less, we could give more to charities we choose - personally. I believe that giving my own money directly to a charity or to a person shows Christ's love much more than expecting the government to do it for me.
1 comment:
Statistically, religious conservatives outgive liberals. Every time, across the board, no matter what the income level. But liberals don't want to hear it because it doesn't fit their idea of what we're like.
And historically, our early legislators recognized the error of "forced benevolence". Davy Crockett said in a speech before Congress, "We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar of the public money."
http://www.juntosociety.com/patriotism/inytg.html
And you could tell every Democrat in the country that, but they likely still wouldn't believe you. :)
Post a Comment