I took our cat, Jack, to the vet today. He's been barfing alot lately. I'm glad I took him in; he's lost 2 lbs. since his last visit over a year ago.
The vet said she was concerned - his barfing, his scraggly coat (ahem - I rarely brush the poor guy), and weight loss together... She said she would like to do a basic blood screen. I started crying. I just dread losing him. After I regained my composure, I asked what the blood screen would look for. Diabetes - I told her I have a diabetic son, and I don't want to have to give the cat shots, too. Ugh. Kidney failure - but he pees plenty, thyroid problems - but when she felt his neck she didn't feel anything wrong, or it could just be irritable bowels. If that is the case, he'd need an occasional steroid shot.
I asked if we could assume that is the problem for now, and go that route. She said she needed to check his blood sugar; if he's diabetic and she gave him the steroid shot, that could really mess him up. His number was good, so we can rule that out. Praise God. Seriously, I don't think I could handle that.
So I cried from then until I got home. There were two ladies working at the desk. One who had eye make-up like this, who was yapping on her cell phone the whole time, and another girl who was running around doing all the work. The lady on the phone was looking at me like I was the freak.
I came home, let Jack out in the den, and laid down on the bed for awhile. I just hope this shot helps, because we can't put more money into him than we already do buying his gourmet food. :0*(
2 comments:
I hope you see lots of improvement with the steroid shot. How soon will you be able to tell if that's what's causing a problem?
Hopefully within a day or so he should be able to keep food down if the shot helps. Otherwise we'll need to decide what to do. The blood screen is at least $100.
Post a Comment