Sunday, November 22, 2009

I could give myself a break

but, nnnnnoooooooo. I have to make things more difficult than they actually are.

Sunday mornings are not relaxing around here. We get up, rush around eating breakfast, getting dressed, getting out the door. And I had to get a song ready, because it's the last Sunday of the month, and I remembered I was on the list for the last Sunday of the month. I got my Sunday school worksheet off the printer, and grabbed my box of craft stuff. Out the door we went!

Got through Sunday school, and gathered up my stuff. I went into the auditorium and dropped the CD off by the sound system. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a couple of people get excited. I don't mean that they are big fans of my singing. I mean, they appeared to get riled up. I started thinking, "Am I supposed to sing in the evening service? If it's her week and I look like I'm hijacking her turn, she's going to have a conniption fit."

I asked the pastor if I was supposed to sing. And I started thinking, "Duh. It's NOT the last Sunday of the month!" Great. It probably was her week, and she was going to be all huffy. He came back and told me that two girls were supposed to sing, but they weren't ready. He asked if I had something prepared. I explained what I had observed in the back. He explained that whenever someone is on the list that may not be prepared, this lady (and her husband) assumes she will fill in. But he said he would prefer me to sing. And he asked if that was being mean. I told him, "Ahhh, no."

See. We go to a small church. The singing abilities are limited. This particular lady has very nice tone, but she makes up her own tune. And her own timing. And she likes to sing with instrumental recordings that are not meant to be an accompaniment. I think I could bear her singing if it wasn't clear that she sings for the recognition. That might be a judgment, and I try to be careful of that. But it is really hard to get a blessing from it.

So the song went well. My son told me it was great. My daughter did her rendition of my song.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love the voice of big brother in the background saying, "Your song sounded great!" Big brothers in our house always want to put their two-cents' worth in, too. :)

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets