Once again, someone at church has chosen to substitute their own judgment for my judgment.
Sunday nights are difficult for us. We eat supper, change clothes and rush out the door. Tonight DH stayed home to finish schoolwork, and I took the kids. We got there and he gasped - no diabetes bag - that means no meter and no emergency snack. I told him that if he felt low he'd have to come see me.
My son came out of class tonight with a very red, sweaty face. He said it was ok, that they were playing in class. I expressed concern that there was too much playing and not enough lesson time. I told him to sit down somewhere; I was afraid his blood sugar would be low. Baby had an apple. I told her she couldn't eat it since she hadn't eaten all of her supper. We got home and he checked his sugar. 234. I knew something wasn't right. I made him wash his hands and check again - 214.
I started asking questions. He finally told us that the teachers (husband & wife) cut up an apple and gave it to the kids. Little Boy knew he shouldn't eat it, but he said it wouldn't have been fair if the other kids got some and he didn't. It will be some time before he understands that he can't worry about what is fair.
I am angry. I have clearly, specifically told these teachers that my son is not to have a snack during their class. We eat just before walking out the door; it is virtually impossible for him to be low. And that if he feels low, he is supposed to test his sugar before being given any food. Seeing that he didn't have his meter, he should have come to me.
So I called the pastor. He tried to be understanding, but I don't think he understands how I feel. I work my beheinie off to keep my son's sugar under control. I will do whatever is necessary to do this. I told the pastor that if I have to keep my son with me during the service, I will. Right now, I want to remove the faces of these two people. If these people can't work with me, we will find a new church.
And on top of EVERYthing, the wife has Type 1 Diabetes.
2 comments:
You are right to confront the issue. And, you must teach your son not to take food from others. I remembered a posting from BaptistMom.com a couple of years ago. There was a link:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi...ies/index.html
that shows the temptations do not go away over the years. Nor is it possible to have everyone protect every child for every possible allergy/disease. I'm not above putting a note, "Do not feed this child without consulting parent," pinned to a shirt pocket.
Tough situation. I also would be talking - again - to the couple doing the class. They should know how upset you are.
Post a Comment