Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Orange Rock

Before Halloween, I took my kids to Walmart. They picked out very large pumpkins to paint at church with the other kids. They turned out, um, colorful!

We set the painted pumpkins outside; it rained. The color slid down the pumpkins and glopped at the bottom. Oh well. Halloween night, some horrible person decided to steal them and smash them at the end of our road. My kids were devastated. So the next day, I took them to Walmart and let them pick out another pumpkin. Only by that time, there were no large, carving pumpkins left. I let them each pick out a baking pumpkin, and I got one for myself. It would be fun to carve a pumpkin with the kids.

I cut Little Boy's pumpkin, and he started scooping out the guts. I cut Baby's pumpkin, and she started scooping out the guts. I got my pumpkin, and for the life of me, I couldn't get a knife into it. I thought it might just be that spot, or maybe I was suddenly an arthritic whimp. DH came in the kitchen, and he tried. He couldn't get it either. So this orange rock has been sitting on my cabinet.

Tonight I made a crustless pumpkin pie for tomorrow - Little Boy will be able to have a large piece since the carbs are very minimal for pumpkin. I decided as long as the oven was hot, I should cook that pumpkin. I got out the big knife - I mean the BIG knife. I stood back a little, and I gave that thing a good whack! The knife about bounced out of my hand. We don't have a hatchet, or that would have been my next choice. So I got out the huge serrated knife from my set. This thing has big teeth. Barely made a scratch. I got out the electric knife - maybe speed was the answer. I was able to scratch the surface, but honestly, I was afraid I was going to burn it up. I got Baby in bed and came back in the kitchen to find DH sawing on the pumpkin with a hacksaw blade. (It was new.) He was able to get deep enough to then use the BIG knife to crack it open. I was really curious what would be inside. Would it look like this?

And....it was normal. I have no idea what the problem was. It's in the oven now. I WON.

3 comments:

Anna said...

First, the "I WON" made me laugh. :D Second, I wonder if it had something to do with the type of pumpkin it was. When Luke harvested ours, one of them was a little bigger than the others, and it was very hard. He actually did chop it up with a hatchet. The flesh was stringier and lighter in color than the other pie pumpkins. We theorize that either the seeds were hybrids and it was a throwback to one of the parents, or a different seed got in our seed packet accidentally.

But I'm glad you defeated your pumpkin.

Tammy said...

It was kinda stringy. I haven't processed it yet. Just cooked it, cooled it, and bagged it. It's in the fridge. I was really afraid it would be rotten. Did you use it?

The outside is still hard as a rock. DH said it was like a helmet! Or that I should glue the two pieces back together. I could put a ribbon around the cut part.

Anna said...

We did process it and freeze it. Luke said it wasn't as sweet as the other pumpkins, but that it wasn't bad, either. He just mixed it all in with the other puree.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets