Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Love/Hate

I really like our dentist. He's a nice Christian man; he's personable, kind, and gentle.

I hate going to the dentist. It doesn't really matter that he's personable, kind and gentle if he hurts me. And he does.

My appointment today was for one filling, but since he had a cancelation, he said he could do both fillings today. One was on top, and the other was on the bottom on the same side. I was so tense during the whole thing. He kept reminding me to breathe. And I was shaking. The assistant commented afterward that she could tell how much I disliked the whole process. She said most people either hate the anesthesia or the drilling, but clearly, I am an equal opportunity hater.

I came home and climbed into bed. Me and my droopy face. Over 5 hours later, I was still feeling the effects. My face just below my eye all the way down my neck to my collar bone throbbed. The inside of my mouth is very tender, the muscles in my neck are sore, and I can't eat solids until noon tomorrow. He will probably have to grind the one filling down a hair as it's not allowing my teeth on the other side to meet. But he was afraid to "knock it down" any more than he did for fear it would crack.

But I got it over at one time, and I won't have to endure the stress a second time in one week.

Wednesday, Allison gets her teeth cleaned and checked for the first time. I sure hope she doesn't have any cavities. And I hope she has inherited her father's affinity for the dentist.

It was 9 pm, and I told my son to put on his overnight pull-up when I remembered...he was out of pullups. So I had to run to Walmart and get back before DH needed to leave for work.

Before he left, he told me to go to bed early, but I did get a nap this afternoon. And it's hard for me to go to bed too early when he's on last shift.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Do you always have that much pain? No wonder you hate going to the dentist.

Tammy said...

Yes, unfortunately. Partly b/c he makes sure I am very numb - more shots - more novocaine, and partly because I get so tense. I think this time had something to do with keeping my mouth open that far for so long, too. I still can only open my mouth a fraction of the way and I now have a lovely bruise on my cheek next to my mouth.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets