I have the television programmed to change the channel to Dr. Phil and Oprah on weekdays. If I'm home and not busy doing something else, I'll turn it on to see the topic of the day. If it's something that interests me, I'll watch it while I can. Many times my son will wake up and I'll turn it off. In our last church, the preacher (see, I can't even call him a pastor!) would incorporate Oprah-bashing into his sermon. I have said in response that I don't watch Oprah to learn about God, and I don't go to church to hear about Oprah. Still stands.
Today's Dr. Phil was mesmerizing. There was a man on the show who has complete amnesia; he was found in Atlanta, GA outside a restaurant door, naked, and beaten early one morning like four years ago. He thinks his name is Benjaman (spelled with m-a-n). He thinks he's from Indiana and that he went to Catholic school. He thinks he lived in Denver or visited Denver. Other than that, he has no clue. I cannot imagine not remembering things. I can remember minutia to a fault. I remember things that others in my family are amazed that I remember. There are some things I'd like to forget, but I haven't figured out how to selectively forget things. My heart goes out to him. He said he's afraid people want him to be someone important and he's going to end up just being some average Joe. How sad.
Then Oprah. Today was celebrating feminists. She had Maria Shriver, Gloria Steinem, and Billy Jean King on. And I was appalled. Everything I am as a Christian woman, these women despise. A keeper at home, a respecter of LIFE from conception, a submissive wife. They said they were in favor of women having choices, but their actions and comments said otherwise. They were all for women having rebellious choices; choices that fell in line with their personal agendas. The equal pay for equal work is a valid issue, because before I was married, I was in the work place. But my feelings about that are this: I was hired at a wage I knew beforehand. I agreed to that wage. I worked for that wage. Why should it matter to me what other people were paid? We have been so programmed to demand what is fair. I feel it's like the servants who were hired for different wages in the New Testament. My responsibility was to work for the wage offered. Maybe I'm ok with that because I feel I received fair wages. I don't know. All I know is that today I didn't watch much of Oprah. Rachel Ray had some interesting recipes that I'd probably enjoy and my family would probably gag at the sight or thought of. Ah, the Food Network! 95% free from worldly influences. 5% boozers. LOL.
2 comments:
I do agree with you about feminism. Their supporters cannot accept a SAHM. I gave up on Oprah some time back -- our agendas are too far apart. I've come to enjoy Martha Stewart and learned to accept her perfection and fastidiousness. Besides, I like her audience gifts better! Enjoy!!
I like Martha, too, but I get turned off by her liberal political stand. She doesn't comment too often, but when she does, I get disgusted. I drool over her laundry room.
Post a Comment