Monday, March 28, 2011

Giving

DH and I were discussing tonight about how much Americans have and how we take it all for granted. He was telling me about a Ch*nese Bible study. This person taught for days on end - 8 hour days - about the Old Testament. And when he was done, they asked him to teach about the New Testament. We get antsy if the speaker goes longer than 45 minutes.

We also talked about how little Americans give to others. Even though we are the most generous nation on Earth. And when we do give, we feel so great that we donated $20 or even $50. We (I'm speaking of my husband and I) do feel great about the $$$ we donated to our church last year. And yet. We do not give sacrificially. We do not give until it hurts.

Glenn Beck has proposed a day of giving - a day of charity. I like Glenn. I think he has a good heart. But I think he likes to make everything hyped up. I used to watch him daily, but lately the bad news w/o suggestions or remedies makes me too frustrated to watch.

But I am mulling this idea he has proposed. He is asking that on April 21st, people give a bag of groceries to a random person. He likened it to a flash mob of sorts. I'll write about the experience if I decide to follow through on it. I'm afraid I'd find someone who didn't really need it, and they'd be offended. But I'm thinking about it.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Interesting idea. I don't think I'd accept a bag of groceries from a random person though. Maybe it'll get people thinking about giving more, anyway.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets