So as we were walking out the door today, the hospital called. The dentist had a cancellation, and Little Boy was moved up. So when we got there we didn't have to wait so long.
He did NOT like the idea of taking off his clothes, especially to put on a GOWN. He didn't want to take off his shoes, and he did NOT want to get up on "that bed." DH and I eventually had to "help" him. And when it was time to drink the sleepy syrup, he balked. He did not want to go to sleep! We finally got him calmed down and he drank it. Within a couple minutes, he started smiling like a goofball, and had a difficult time keeping his head up and his eyes straight. DH and I were trying to not laugh at him, but when we did, he didn't seem to mind. I had brought along some little activity things for him to do and he was attempting to color a picture with markers. It was funny.
They moved him over closer to the OR, and the dentist came out to talk to us. The nurses were talking to him, trying to keep him occupied. One nurse asked him, "(his name)? Is that the name you go by? (his name)?" He shook his head no. I asked him what he wanted to be called.
He leaned forward, with a funny smile on his face, and his head tilted down so he was looking at my out of the tops of his eyes, and said, "Mr. (our last name)." DH and I were about to roll on the floor. It was like he was a funny drunk. When we told the nurses, dentist and anesthesiologist, we were all laughing. And so was Little Boy. He kissed us good-bye, and they wheeled him away. I kept trying to think of how funny he was, and not think about where he was going and what they were going to do to him.
We heard him coming when they brought him out to recovery. He was NOT happy anymore. He wanted them to take those silver teeth out! And he wanted to finish coloring his picture for the nurse! And he wanted that IV out of his arm, the heart monitor patches off, the blood pressure clip OFF his toe, and he wanted to get rid of the gown! We gave in on all counts, and then for about 45 minutes tried to convince him to take a nap. I finally got onto the gurney with him - quite the sight - and he fell asleep. Once I was sure he was sleeping, I got off of there.
Aunt Cathy stopped by when he woke up. He was much sweeter, but still a bit dopey. We stopped and ate supper at Denny's and came home. We had a great seat to watch the town Christmas parade where we were stuck in traffic. We got home, got Baby from G&Gs (another whole story about HER day!), and put them in bed. All by 8:30 pm.
And as I was writing this, our pastor called to see how things had gone, and to let us know they were stopping by tomorrow about noon to give Little Boy a little gift. Very thoughtful and nice, but my house isn't company ready. I'll have to give it a swipe in the morning. I don't have the energy to do anything right now.
1 comment:
What a day! (Hey, isn't that the name of this blog? LOL!) Glad for you that it's over.
Post a Comment