So I've been sucked into the vortex of family tree mania again. Thanks to the new show "Who Do You Think You Are?" My husband told me that he had signed up for a free 14-day subscription to Ancestry.com. There are only a couple days left. So now I feel this rush to find information while I can.
I found a marriage record for my maternal great grandparents! And I found a death record in TX for the right date parameters, but it's for an Unknown person with the correct last name. No other information listed. So I may have to send for the death certificate to see if there is any other information. And I keep searching for a birth record for my grandmother to see if there is any information on it.
I get so frustrated when I can't find the information that I have to walk away from it, or I'd be hopping in my car and driving to TX or MO or GA to search. I'm looking forward to going to WI this summer so I can do some research on my other maternal gr grandmother.
So while the kids nap, and the race is on but muted, I'll be surfing the net. Searching for clues and information.
3 comments:
Don't drive to Texas (well, unless you want to come for a visit) but find someone who will exchange lookups. Also, there are many free sites (Ancestry is soooo expensive!) with information. Our library system has a website that offers almost all of the census records that Ancestry does -- and most states offer access to records. Ohio does an outstanding job!
An excellent book (out of print but available through Amazon.com) is a 1998 "Ancestry's Guide to Research: Case Studies in American Genealogy", absolutely marvelous -- and it put me on the research path.
There's also free software for building your database.
Be aware, it can become addictive, trying to fill in those blanks!!
My dead end now is that I think she may be listed on the death index as an unknown person with her last name. I'm going to send for the death certificate, but I don't know that I'll find anything out.
Oh. And I know how addictive it is. Before my kids were born I worked on my and my husband's trees and have them filled out quite extensively. There are just a couple stumpy branches that kill me so I have to walk away from all of it or I would go insane.
Post a Comment