Friday, March 5, 2010

Grapefruit, take me away!

I use a preprinted shopping list when I grocery shop. I put it together when Little Boy was an infant. I had gone to the store to get formula, and a couple other things, and I got home with a trunkful of food and stuff, but no formula. That's when I knew I had to make a list.

I wrote down the words on the aisle markers, and then listed the things the things in those aisles that I buy with an extra "other" spot. There is a check box by each item. Many times as I look at the list before I go shopping, the list prompts me to check on basics.

There's a separate column for toiletries, household and baby things. And there's space at the bottom to write special items.

I found some amazing deals at Walmart - I bought some clothes in bigger sizes for both my kids. Wrangler cargo jeans were on clearance for $5! So I bought two pair in Little Boy's current size, and a pair in a larger size. The larger size fit around the waist/rear, but were a tad too long. The current size pairs were snug around his belly. I took the other two back and bought his current size in a husky size. They were too big. Thankfully they have the adjustable waist. I didn't know fitting boys' pants was so complicated. I mean, it's not like they have hips or anything.

I found some cute tops for Baby for $2 and Hanes sweat shirts and pants were on clearance for $1. I don't worry about her as much since I could always sew her clothes much more easily than his.

But back to my list. I start at the back of the store and work my way forward. Milk, eggs, butter, cheese. And then I work my way through the aisles to the front. Many times I can skip a couple aisles because there is nothing on my list. That seems to help me not pick up unnecessary food stuff. I stop before the frozen section and work my way down the meat section, and then back up the center aisle of frozen foods - usually I don't buy anything from there - it's mostly quick convenience food and we don't eat much of that. I look at the fruit and veggies; I sometimes shop at another store that has better produce if I don't like how the stuff looks. And lastly, I get any frozen food I need.

But back to the produce section. I stopped by the citrus fruit and it was all so fragrant! I picked up a large grapefruit and smelled it. Ahhh. I love the scent of grapefruit! In my mind I'm trying to figure out why I like the scent even better than the other citrus fruits. I don't know. But as I was smelling it, I kept thinking, "I'd love to be sitting somewhere warm, eating a fresh grapefruit off the tree - alone. Ahh!"

Don't get me wrong (especially you, Dear, when you read this). I love my kids and I LOVE my husband, but there's just something about being alone. Even if it's just in your imagination. Completely carefree and relaxing - not worrying if the others are ok or safe or healthy or happy. In the smell of that grapefruit, I was THERE. And then I thought, "I hope no one is looking at me right now. Smelling this grapefruit I don't plan to buy. With a goofy smile on my face and my eyes closed." And I was back to reality from my quick trip.

I should have bought that magical grapefruit and figured out a way to wear it around my neck! LOL

2 comments:

Anna said...

I love the smell of grapefruit, too - you should get some grapefruit essential oil and a carrier oil and dab it on like perfume.

Tammy said...

I used to have a bottle of grapefruit scented body spray. But by the time I used it all up, the store didn't carry it anymore. :0(

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets