Sunday, April 5, 2009

Successful Recipe

I tried a new recipe last night, and I guess it was a big hit. Little Boy and Baby each wanted seconds, but we held them off with the promise we would eat leftovers today. As soon as we got in the car after church, Little Boy said he wanted the leftovers for lunch. I convinced him that it would be better for supper when I could warm it in the oven rather than in the microwave. Partially because it was true, but also partially because I didn't want to give up my McDs for lunch.

I don't know why this was so much better than my regular lasagna recipe, but everyone loved it. It is only written for 2 servings, so I doubled it. Also, instead of the jar of sauce, I used plain tomato sauce and added half a packet of spaghetti seasoning. I also used half ricotta, half cottage cheese, and I cooked my noodles from dry.

Ground Beef and Spinach Lasagna Rollups
Pillsbury

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 jar (14 oz.) tomato pasta sauce
1 egg
3/4 c. ricotta cheese
2 T grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella
4 (8x2 1/2") frozen precooked lasagna noodles, thawed
1 c. fresh baby spinach leaves, washed, stems removed (I tore mine into small pieces)

1. Heat oven to 350. In skillet, brown beef with onions. Stir in 1/2 c. of sauce. Remove from heat.
2. Spread 3 T of the pasta sauce in the bottom of ungreased 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
3. Beat egg in med. bowl. Add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, oregano and 3/4 c. mozzarella cheese; mix well.
4. Spread 1/4 c. each of ricotta mix, spinach leaves and beef mixture over each lasagna noodle. Starting at the end, gently and loosely roll each noodle; place seam side down over sauce in baking dish. Top rollups with remaining sauce. Cover with foil.
5. Bake 30 to 40 min. or until bubbly and hot. Remove foil; sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Bake 2 to 4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 min. before serving.

2 comments:

Jenni Green said...

Sounds yummy!!! I will have to try it. It is always nice when you find a meal that everyone likes.

Anna said...

That looks really good. I bet you could freeze the rolls once they were assembled and take out as many as you needed to bake then. I think I'll add this to my next freezer cooking day recipes!

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets