Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No end in sight

I've been feeling weary lately. I spent a couple days vegging on the couch while the kids played here in the living room. It was like I had taken a sleeping pill; I was just so tired I couldn't wake up. I know that my son has a much harder road ahead than I do, but I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself. Every time I have to check his blood sugar or give him a shot, I want to stick myself, too. It isn't fair that he has to go through this alone. The least I could do is to feel the pain, too.

He sometimes fusses about it all, and I cannot blame him. I know he doesn't know how it kills me when he cries about it. But it also is frustrating; it HAS to be done.

Today he offered to get the shot in his abdomen. He actually said he prefers it there now. That's good. We have one more rotation area.

I started taking Reliv, again. I need to get back to it regularly, and I need to see my doctor. I missed my 6 month follow-up when Little Boy was in the hospital. I need to get back to taking my Wellbutrin. Between the Reliv and Wellbutrin, I know I'll feel better. And I need to get the den cleared out enough to use the bike and treadmill. And then I'll feel even better. And I plan to start back on a "diet" as soon as the Reese's PB Cup ice cream is gone. (I refuse to let it go to waste!)

I just think about testing blood and insulin shots for years to come, and I get very sad. I've been told that Little Boy is blessed to have parents who care, who comprehend how to treat him properly, who love him so much. I'm sorry; that is a very hollow consolation to a mother who wouldn't hurt her son in that way for all the world. I breathe a prayer for a cure every time I have to call him in.

2 comments:

Anna said...

It sounds like you have a good plan in place. (Enjoy that ice cream while you have it!) God grants us grace for each day; looking too far down the road can be discouraging. We're praying for a cure, too, and for strength for all of you.

Keryn Campbell said...

Hi Tammy

Thank you so much for putting my blog link in your side bar so that you and others can come and visit me.

I'm a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic just like your son. I'm still here and happy living a very normal life with a fantastic husband and two beautiful boys of my own 36 years after diagnosis. Once he can take control of it himself there's no reason why he can't live a perfectly normal life with the odd blood test and insulin shot thrown in for good measure.

Cheers
Keryn

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets