Little Boy's lesson began today with him putting our alphabet cards in order on the living room floor. He started flapping his arms and fussing. I explained that he could do it quickly and cheerfully - that would make Mommy happy. Or he could flap like a birdie, run out of time and receive discipline. And he had 15 minutes. I showed him the clock. He chose to fuss. I told him he was running out of time; he was getting more agitated, and said he wanted me to help him. I explained that all he had to do was say the abcs or sing the song. He wanted ME to sing the song. I was filing some of his papers, and I told him I would help him if he got stuck but that he had been singing the alphabet before he could speak clearly and didn't really need my help.
As the hand of the clock moved steadily toward the deadline, he got more upset. He finally started saying the alphabet. Angrily. With tears. And boogers. It took him less than a minute to finish. He really is very smart. And stubborn. I wiped his nose, held him in my lap, and asked if crying helped or made it harder. He saw that it made it harder. I asked if he was happy and proud to finish the task well. Nope. I tried to explain that if he had done it cheerfully and quickly, he WOULD feel happy and proud. I don't know if any huge lights went on, but then it was time for the next part of the lesson and he was much more compliant.
Childhood is so difficult. On us all.
1 comment:
Ahh, the wonderful memories you make homeschooling, lol! We've had moments like that too.
Post a Comment