Friday, January 7, 2011

Sharing Sorrows

My friends Craig and Stephany miscarried a baby some time ago. Today was her due date. I know they are grieving.

I know because I've grieved on my due date.

I was 7 weeks pregnant when I miscarried. I was elated, flying high one minute, and completely devastated the next. It didn't make sense. When the ER doc told me that my OB/GYN was willing to come in to do a D&C, I declined. I needed time to process what he was saying.

I don't remember if it was the next day, or two days later that I went in. I kept hoping someone would tell me there had been a mistake; that everything was fine.

I remember the stupid things people said to me. People close; people who should have known better. I remember the ridiculous things sending people into tailspins of depression. I wanted to scream at them all. I had a baby, and now that baby was gone. And their petty problems didn't compare. And the attention they were getting just laid stones of hurt at the bottom of my broken heart.

I know that months later, when people had completely forgotten that pain was still there. I'd cry at the drop of a hat.

When I did get pregnant again, that excitement I'd felt the first time was replaced with caution and fear. Then a friend of mine lost her baby the night before he was to be delivered. And the fear grew. It didn't go away until the doctor told us we had a son.

I found a box in our den this past fall. It was a smallish box, and I thought it was full of rose petals. But when I opened it, it was full of baby things from our first baby. A pregnancy journal I had started. A stuffed animal. Baby booties. And sympathy cards. And I sat down and cried.

I don't know who that little baby would have been. I don't know if they would have been a boy or girl. I know they are in Heaven with my Heavenly Father, and with my earthly father. And even though it's been more than 8 years, I still grieve. And cry. And my heart goes out to my friends because I know what they are feeling.

Sharing sorrow doesn't make it any easier.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets