Sunday, August 30, 2009

Baby turns 4

Yesterday was Baby's 4th birthday. She's getting so big. I tell the kids often about the day they were born. God forbid anything ever happened to me, I want them to know how excited we were to have them in our family. I've written it down in their baby books, but I hope they will remember me telling them.

We didn't find out the gender for either of our children from the sonograms. Our plan was to have only two babies, and we wanted their births to be as exciting as possible. Grandma wasn't so happy with our decision, but...

Here's a bit of what I tell Baby.

When Baby was born (C-section), DH says the doctor said the "It's a girl" thing, but for whatever reason, I didn't hear her. The first thing I heard was the doctor saying, "Did anyone know SHE was coming out bottom first?" I was SO relieved. I wanted a little girl so much. And then she was screaming quite loudly. DH got to hold her for a second to show her to me before the nurse whisked her away. I sent DH to be with her while I went through the rest of my surgery stuff.

I tell her a little, but not too much about the fact she was born the day Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. I lay in the bed in the hospital watching all the horror unfold - praying that any mommies having babies were safe like Baby and I were.

I found Baby's baby album the other day while I was cleaning in the den, and she's been carrying it around with her. She knows the story well enough to tell her dollies all about it, but she comes to ask me questions repeatedly. I know she just wants affirmation.

She had a great party. DH and Little Boy decorated before we got to the lake house, and Baby and I finished up decorating the cupcakes. We joined them just as DH was finishing up the balloons. She was very excited when DH put her ribbon on her. She really is a girlie-girl. Until she gets angry, and then she's a pink Incredible Hulk. Thankfully, there were no meltdowns during the party.














2 comments:

Anna said...

I didn't realize that she was born the day Katrina hit. Looks like it was a nice party - she looks so happy!

Bessaroo said...

Ooh! I love the pink mustang! She looks so cute! It is hard to believe that she is four. That just blows my mind.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets