She would get so excited to play; she'd run in huge circles - always coming past us to be praised.
Scruffy wasn't always the best doggie - as a puppy, she chewed a stuffed animal my dad had sewn while in a hospital. He crammed the stuffing in her mouth and then spanked her with a rolled up newspaper - knocked the stuffing out of her! LOL I remember she ate the wooden beads off the ties on my mom's new shoes. Ha.
But as she grew older, she was so well-trained. She wasn't allowed into the living room - her hair fell out in collie-clumps. She would lay in the doorway with her paws on the carpet until someone told her to back up. We would balance a treat on her nose and she was trained to not eat it or anything on the floor unless we told her "ok". She would chase the goats back into the pen. She was in the house one day, and started barking to go out. We let her out and she raced down to the chicken pen - a huge hawk flew into the air. She would shake hands, roll over, speak, smile...


She was home with me the morning my Dad died. I was home sick that day, and Mom left with Dad in the ambulance. My great aunt and her son came to sit with me until we heard from Mom. When she got there, Mom called to tell me Dad had died. Scruffy went into the kitchen and threw up by the back door. I always felt sorry for her - she really loved Dad, too. But when that happened, it was a comfort. I felt like she loved me and felt my pain, too.
Blah. Enough tears! She was a sweet dog, and I don't know if I'll ever have a dog b/c it wouldn't measure up. That, and no one here wants to clean up dog poop. LOL
And here is a picture of our horse - Prince. He was too smart for his own good, but he was a great horse.




2 comments:
Luke enjoyed your pictures. :) He always loved how her ears crossed at the tips when she perked them up all the way. Sweet memories.
We called her ears "Garfield ears". :o) Glad Luke enjoyed them.
Post a Comment