Friday, May 29, 2009

This is so yummy it hurts!

My husband does not like BBQ. I love it. So I found a recipe that satisfies us both. But "satisfies" isn't the word. I would eat this more often, but then it wouldn't be as special.

In the past, I've used country style ribs, but in an effort to reduce our fat intake, I've been using pork chops instead. It actually cuts out the baking step. But the taste is the same. I'm trying to not drool on my keyboard. I made this recipe a couple weeks ago, and froze half the chops. We're having them tonight for supper, and I almost cannot wait.

Marna's Killer Rib Rub

3/4 to 1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. paprika
1 T. onion powder
2 T. garlic powder
1 T. salt
1 T. black pepper
1 T. oregano
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne (more or less to taste)
1/4 c. apple juice & 1/4 c. grape juice

1. Mix all ingredients in a ziplock bag. Place pork in a shallow dish, add part of the spices, and rub generously into pork. (I put a bag over my hand as paprika will stain your hands!)

2. For ribs, I baked them for 2-3 hours at 250 covered with foil in the juice and 1/4 c. water.
Then we put them on the grill just long enough to crisp the surface a bit.

3. For chops, I put them in the fridge for an hour to let them marinate. Then they go onto the grill.

I can usually make two whole batches with this recipe. I double zip lock bag the remaining rub and save it for next time. Last time, I used brown sugar Splenda and it tasted just as good.

My daughter, who is almost a vegetarian by stubbornness, cannot get enough of this. It is just too yummy.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Hmmm, I have pork steak in the freezer ...

Bessaroo said...

That sounds like it would hit the spot! Can I join you guys for dinner? Haha.

Tammy said...

I was not disappointed! Ahhhh.

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets