Friday, August 22, 2008

Kindergarten Countdown

So my Little Boy starts kindergarten in 17 days. Since he's being homeschooled, I was able to pick our own date. Daddy will start back to school on the same day. I'm not quite as thrilled with that, but I know he is working for a better education and job opportunity. And his dedication is quite admirable.

I've decided to use My Father's World (MFW) for our curriculum. There are a couple different reasons. First, my son has been able to "say" his alphabet since he was 18 months old, but can only recognize a handful of letters by sight. He also has not grasped the concept that the letters make specific sounds. And I think he is a very tactile learner.

I also want the curriculum to completely revolve around the Bible. It seems there are not as many curriculum choices that do that. Even ABeka, which I taught from in a combined classroom for 4 years, doesn't tie in Biblical concepts as much as I would like. I also wanted a more gentle curriculum for Little Boy. I don't think most boys do as well if they feel pressure in the lower grades. I want school for my children to be about the adventure of learning and the excitement of mastering a new concept. I'm sure there will be many days when he'd rather watch Tom and Jerry or run trains, but I'm hoping he'll be interested enough to keep his attention for the 60-90 minutes we'll need.

I also picked MFW because it will allow opportunities to include Baby. And that will be even more applicable as she gets a little older and I can combine classes.

I'm sure part of my desire to homeschool is my reluctance to let my child go off into the world already. I remember seeing the kindergarten children in the schools where I have taught and feeling a pang. They still looked like babies, who needed to be home in the loving company of their mommies, taking afternoon naps.

Public school really isn't an option for us. The schools in our area keep consolidating and there are more kids, fewer teachers and longer drives. The Christian school is a 40 minute drive away (and that was if I drove fast!) I don't want my son's school day to be that long! That is just ridiculous. We will accomplish as much or more and he'll actually have a life, still!

Then there's the issue of behavior. My son comes home with enough exposure to naughtiness from Sunday School and his little group of about 5 kids. He has repeated, said and done things he learned there that make my blood pressure top off. So just imagine what he would come home with after a whole day with 25 kids! YIKES!

And lastly, and probably the most convincing, legitimate reason is that no one else knows my kids, loves my kids or desires more for and from my kids than I do. I believe I suffered through 4 years of Bible college for a teaching degree, and and then did 7 years of classroom "time" for a reason. I don't believe anyone is more qualified to meet the spiritual, emotional, educational needs of my children than I am.

I know I'm not the world's best teacher. I know there are many smarter, more creative, enthusiastic people out there. But I also know that they are my kids and I want to be there to see their little eyes light up when they finally understand a new concept. And I want to be sure they know that everything in this beautiful, crazy, delightful, precise world was given to them as a gift from our Father.

2 comments:

Anna said...

What a great post about why you want to homeschool! Now print it out and tuck it in your teacher's manual to remind you why you're doing this on those days he wants to watch Ben and Jerry and play with trains. :)

Angela Rae Barribeau said...

yeah! Kindergarten!!!

You still have to dress him up and take "1st Day of School" photos!!!

Nice post about why you are doing what you're doing...

Love you,
Angela

2009 Christmas Pics

Our Wildlife Neighborhood

Our Wildlife Neighborhood



Our vacation day at the lake

Our vacation day at the lake
Throwing rocks






Life at Home

Life at Home
Baby is reading a catalog


Reading can be dangerous

Something reminds me of Witchiepoo

The Cavalry has arrived!

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning
You can't wear the helmets